skip to main content

Print POST「Facebook」【Open New Window】   POST「Plurk」【Open New Window】   POST「Twitter」【Open New Window】 Font size: S M L

Yin Hsi East Gate

The Eastern Gate Hsinchu previously named ChuChang, and its city fense only surrounded with thorn and bamboo in 1733. Until 1826 the celebrity Chan YungShi suggested the emperor of Ching dynasty to reconstruct a strong stone city wall. 
 
The ancient ChuChang city wall was built with brick and stone in 1827. The dimensioned of the city wall , 860 chang in circle, 1.5 chang in height, 1.6 chang in depth, (chang is the length measure of ancient Chinese, approximate length of ten feet.) and four gates for four directions, 'Yin Hsi' (moring sunlight) in the east, 'Yi-Suang 'in the west, 'Ge-Hsuing' in the south, and Gong-Chang in the north. 
 
When Taiwan was colonized by Japan , the government had ever reformed city's administration design, and thus tore down most part of the city walls and gates in 1902, and now Yin Hsi East Gate 'Yin Hsi' was the only one still existed. 
 
The base of Yin Hsi East Gate was granite stone, with arching entrance; the upper tower originally was build with wood, and after reconstructed with the material of concrete. 24 pillars held the whole structure of the building; both sides of the ridge  
were shaped short and crescent, which reflected the strong and awe-inspiring image of the building. 
 
A stone board was stood in front of the gate recording the history of ChuChan city  
(the ancient name of Hsin Chu)  
Visitor:800    Update:108-06-13